Please use this list to jump to the section most relevant to you:
1. Types of Information We Collect
2. How We Collect Your Information
3. Use of Your Information
4. Sharing Your Information with Other Companies
5. Your Controls and Choices
6. Children’s Privacy
7. Data Security and Integrity
8. Data Transfers, Storage and Processing Globally
10. Comments and Questions
We collect two basic types of information - personal information and anonymous information - and we may use personal and anonymous information to create a third type of information, aggregate information. We collect the following categories of information:
• Registration information you provide when you create an account, including your first name and surname, country of residence, gender, date of birth, email address, username, photo and password
• Transaction information you provide when you request information or purchase a product or service from us, whether on our sites or through our applications, including your postal address, telephone number and payment information
• Information you provide in public forums on our sites and applications
• Information you provide to us when you use our sites and applications, our applications on third-party sites or platforms such as social networking sites, or link your profile on a third-party site or platform with your registration account
• Location information when you visit our sites or use our applications, including location information either provided by a mobile device interacting with one of our sites or applications, or associated with your IP address, where we are permitted by law to process this information
• Usage, viewing and technical data, including your device identifier or IP address, when you visit our sites, use our applications on third-party sites or platforms or open emails we send
• We collect information through technology, such as cookies, Flash cookies and Web beacons, including when you visit our sites and applications or use our applications on third-party sites or platforms. Please keep reading for further information, including how to disable cookies.
• We may acquire information from other sources to update or supplement the information you provided or we collected automatically. Local law may require that you authorize the third party to share your information with us before we can acquire it.
Examples of online tracking technologies include:
• Flash cookies. We may use local shared objects, sometimes known as Flash cookies, to store your preferences or display content based upon what you view on our site to personalize your visit. Our advertisers and third-party service providers also may use Flash cookies to collect and store information. Flash cookies are different from browser cookies because of the amount of, type of, and how data is stored. Cookie management tools provided by your browser will not remove Flash cookies. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies, please click here. If you disable Flash cookies, you won’t have access to many features that make your user experience more efficient and some of our services will not function properly.
Chicken Soup for the Soul Digital, LLC will be the data controller for your information. Affiliates, parents, subsidiaries, third-party services and partners may have access to your information where they perform services our behalf and, unless prohibited under applicable law, for use on their own behalf for the following purposes:
• Provide you with the products and services you request
• Communicate with you about your account or transactions with us and send you information about features on our sites and applications or changes to our policies
• Consistent with local law and choices and controls that may be available to you:
o Send you offers and promotions for our products and services or third-party products and services
o Personalize content and experiences on our sites and applications
o Provide you with advertising based on your activity on our sites and applications and on third-party sites and applications.
• Optimize or improve our products, services and operations
• Detect, investigate and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
We will not share your personal information outside Chicken Soup for the Soul Publishing, LLC and its subsidiaries and affiliates except in limited circumstances, including:
• When you allow us to share your personal information with another company, such as:
o Electing to share your personal information with carefully selected companies so that they can send you offers and promotions about their products and services
o Directing us to share your personal information with third-party sites or platforms, such as social networking sites
o Purchasing products from us that are sold through third-party services, such as our subscription service
o In order to fulfill orders that you have placed with us; for example, we may expand the items included in our subscription services over time to include items that we would ship to you via a third party, and we may need to make your personal information available to that third party for fulfillment purposes.
Please note that once we share your personal information with another company, the information received by the other company becomes subject to the other company’s privacy practices.
• When companies perform services on our behalf, like package delivery and customer service; however, these companies are prohibited from using your personal information for purposes other than those requested by us or required by law
We provide you the ability to exercise certain controls and choices regarding our collection, use and sharing of your information. In accordance with local law, your controls and choices may include:
• You may correct, update and delete your registration account
• You may change your choices for subscriptions, newsletters and alerts
• You may choose whether to receive from us offers and promotions for our products and services, or products and services that we think may be of interest to you
• You may choose whether we share your personal information with other companies so they can send you offers and promotions about their products and services by opting out of emails from our partners
• You may choose whether to receive targeted advertising from many ad networks, data exchanges, marketing analytics and other service providers here
• You may request access to the personal information we hold about you and that we amend or delete it and we request third parties with whom we have shared the information do the same
You may exercise your controls and choices, or request access to your personal information by following instructions provided in communications sent to you. Please be aware that, if you do not allow us to collect personal information from you, we may not be able to deliver certain products and services to you, and some of our services may not be able to take account of your interests and preferences. If you have questions regarding the specific personal information about you that we process or retain, please contact our webmaster.
We recognize the need to provide further privacy protections with respect to personal information we may collect from children under the age of 13 on our sites and applications. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children in connection with those features. If we become aware that we have collected information from children, we will immediately delete that information.
The security, integrity and confidentiality of your information are extremely important to us. We and our partners have implemented technical, administrative and physical security measures that are designed to protect your information from unauthorized access, disclosure, use and modification. From time to time, we review our security procedures to consider appropriate new technology and methods. Please be aware though that, despite our best efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable.
Aggregate Information. Aggregate information means information about groups or categories of users, which does not identify and cannot reasonably be used to identify an individual user.
Anonymous Information. Anonymous information means information that does not directly or indirectly identify, and cannot reasonably be used to identify, an individual user.
Application. Application means a program or service operated by us (or on our behalf) that may be displayed on various online, mobile or other platforms and environments, including those operated by third parties, which permits us to interact directly with our users.
Children. Children means individuals who we have identified are not of legal age to consent to the collection and processing of their personal information. In the United States and Latin America, the term “children” refers to individuals under 13 years of age.
IP Address. An IP address is associated with the access point through which you enter the Internet, and is typically controlled by your Internet Service Provider (ISP), your company, or your university. We may use IP addresses to collect information regarding the frequency with which our users visit various parts of our sites and applications, and we may combine IP addresses with personal information.
Notice. Notice may be by email to you at the last email address you provided us, by posting notice of such changes on our sites and applications, or by other means, consistent with applicable law.
Parents. Parents means a parent or legal guardian.
Personal information. Personal information means information that identifies (whether directly or indirectly) a particular individual, such as the individual’s name, postal address, email address and telephone number. When anonymous information is directly or indirectly associated with personal information, this anonymous information also is treated as personal information.
Public Forums. Our sites and applications may offer message boards, conversation pages, blogs, chat rooms, social community environments, profile pages, and other forums that do not have a restricted audience. If you provide personal information when you use any of these features, that personal information may be publicly posted and otherwise disclosed without limitation as to its use by us or by a third party. To request removal of your personal information from a public forum on one of our sites or applications, please contact our Webmaster.